Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Chinese Dragon Huanglong - References

I have to draw a poster to promote the Chinese News Year my association will be organising in Reims this february.

That gave me this idea of drawing a Chinese dragon, so I went to dear wiki wiki to learn a bit more about the subject.
There are different types of chinese dragon, and I chose to draw the Huanglong (黃龍), namely the yellow dragon, or horse dragon ("Long" standing for dragon I suppose) as it is a divine messenger. I thought drawing a messenger of a dragon on an informative add would fit as, you know, message...

I used many references to draw this dragon. According to wiki wiki, a chinese dragon is composed of nine different animals: head of a camel, eyes of a demon, ears like a cow's, stag antlers, neck of a snake, paw of tiger ending in eagle claws, mollusc belly, body covered in carp scales. Well, I used many of those, but not everything (and especially not the head of a camel, 'cause that's sooo not dragon-like).

I also searched for references and found those amasing things on dear DA:

Chinese Dragon by *drachenmagier

Blue-eyed gift ~tallydragon
(I didn't use this one. I just think it's cute)


I also used some references for the body such as this carp:
And I used this drawing of a paeony (the flower that symbolises China) for the background.


I also discovered this cool (french) website about Chinese symbols and zodiac signs during my research.

So here's the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment