Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Painted With Words, BBC Van Gogh, 2010

I made this video for it because I couldn't find a trailer that I liked.

Summary: An original biography of Vincent Van Gogh, told through his letters to his brother Theo. 

Comment: This a story of Vincent Van Gogh, whom I've always loved, performed by Benedict Cumberbatch, whose acting talent I greatly admire; as Vincent' story is quite sad, I knew I was going to cry. So I did. 
The best compliment I could give to this show is that it made me re-discover Van Gogh and his work. It shows him as such an art loving, admirably hard working person, more preoccupied with art than with fame and the social behaviour needed to achieve it, and still yearning for some recognition of his talent. It also shows his generosity and whole heartedness, his passion, both admirable and scary, his taste in absinthe and prostitutes, his dealing with "mental instability", as we call it...
The second thing to say is that it is not a typical biography, because the different characters directly talk to us, viewers, very naturally, as if speaking with someone watching you from the other side of a TV was totally normal (wait- is that why I always speak to my screen?)- and because it's told only in Van Gogh or Theo's words, from their letters to each other. So it's a bit of a mix between a biography and a documentary, a "drama-documentary", according to the BBC.

Sorrow, sketch by Van Gogh.

No comments:

Post a Comment